Transition to the Specialty of Ambulatory Care
Nurse residencies are an effective strategy to increase nurse retention and help RNs transition to competent practice.
The AAACN Ambulatory Care Registered Nurse Residency Program is an evidence-based resource that you can use to help RNs attain the knowledge and skills they need to practice in the ambulatory care specialty.
The program is designed for ambulatory care facilities to transition into practice:
- New RN graduates
- Experienced RNs new to ambulatory care
RNs completing the program will have the increased competence and confidence needed to provide safe, high-quality care.
The program is customizable. With tools and content that can be tailored, it has everything needed for a facility to build its own program, using a standardized and comprehensive approach, including:
- A curriculum guideline
- Competency assessment (procedural and professional) guides
- Clinical rotation guidelines
- Checklists and templates
- Simulation guides
- Preceptor and mentor tools
- Template for implementing a residency program
- 11 major sections with 244 pages
- Easy to navigate
- Electronic publication in PDF format
- Downloadable with customizable Word templates, checklists, guides, and forms
- User friendly (print, search, zoom, and more)
- Knowledge needed to implement a nurse residency program.
- Customizable tools to tailor the program to their specific needs and ambulatory care setting.
The program helps ambulatory care nurses attain:
- Competence and confidence in their practice.
- The knowledge to provide safe, high-quality care.
- Demonstrated skills as both practitioners and leaders.
The need for a program specific to ambulatory care:
- As the need for ambulatory care nurses rises in the changing health care environment, new graduates will be in great demand to fill much-needed RN positions. This has made the need for more competent, well-educated ambulatory care nurses even more urgent.
- The AAACN Ambulatory Care RN Residency Program will also help retain nurses in the specialty and prepare them to handle increasingly complex patient care needs. The result will be fewer errors and better outcomes.
The AAACN Ambulatory Care RN Residency Program is now available to purchase in the AAACN store.
- AAACN member: $149
- Regular price: $199
Practices implementing the AAACN Ambulatory Care RN Residency Program should review the program goals and align activities with these outcomes.
Completion of the program will allow the RN to:
- Transition from novice or advanced beginner to the next professional level.
- Develop effective decision-making skills.
- Apply leadership skills.
- Employ effective communication.
- Develop critical reasoning and astute clinical judgement.
- Work collaboratively with the health care team.
- Use critical-thinking skills and patient engagement strategies to optimize outcomes.
"When executed with a rigorous structure based on professional and specialty competencies, an ambulatory registered nurse residency program has a strong potential to transform the nursing profession and advance ambulatory care nursing's contribution to leading change and advancing health."
~AAACN White Paper: The Need for an Ambulatory Nurse Residency Program
For AAACN members! Access the RN Transition to Practice & Residency Community, an online forum for the American Academy of Ambulatory Care Nursing (AAACN) members to ask questions and share implementation ideas related to the RN Residency Program. All AAACN members are welcome to join the Community.
When you join the community, you will have opportunities to:
- Discuss evidence-based best practices related to transition to practice and residency programs.
- Discover what others have done to prepare RNs for ambulatory care practice.
- Examine barriers and challenges in implementing a transition to practice program.
*Note: AAACN members may join the RN Transition to Practice & Residency Community by following the link and logging in to your AAACN member account. After you log in, you'll be redirected to the RN Residency Community page. Click Join Community on the right side of the page, select your email digest preference, and you're in!